Re: [LAU] Looking: cheap analog in to ADAT out converter

From: Rick Green <rtg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 03 2013 - 03:57:51 EEST

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013, Julien Claassen wrote:

> I'm looking for an A/D converter, more precisely a converter from analog
> ins to ADAT out. I've seen the Q-ADAT, which sounds almost reasonable. I've
> also seen the ADA8000. But frankly both seem a bit much. I mean that
> literally "a bit". any cheaper alternative known or anyone here, wants to
> seel their old analog to ADAT converter?

   For several years, I used a pair of old ADAT LX20 recorders, just for
their A/D converters. They can be had cheaply on Ebay these days. Simply
plug them in, turn them on, and enable the channels, and they pass audio
from the inputs to the lightpipe. No tape or transport functions needed.
   They do not have mic preamps, but rather line-level RCA unbalanced
inputs, so they are ideal if you are recording from a mixer's Direct-Out
jacks. Well, almost ideal... It appears that the ADATs were designed for
-10dBV 'consumer' signals, and my mixer's Direct Outs produced the 'Pro'
+4dBu level, so I had to make up a set of 16 little two-resistor l-Pad
attenuators.

--
Rick Green