Re: [LAU] price vs. sound - was - What is the best MP3 encoder?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 04 2013 - 08:59:56 EEST

On 04/02/2013 01:04 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 21:58 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
>> familiarity
>
> Good point. I prefer my own < 1000 EUR guitars to other low cost
> guitars, because I'm accustomed to play them, but because I'm not making
> music that often nowadays, I noticed that playing a guitar > 1000 EUR is
> easier to do, than playing my own guitars. IMO fingerboards, resp. the
> complete neck of more expensive guitars is better, often the guitars are
> better balanced, have better cutaways etc. pp., just the mechanics of
> old guitars often is less good. Sustain should be ok for < 1000 EUR
> e. guitars too, but sometimes new guitars (also the expensive new ones)
> don't sound like old electric guitars. I don't claim that new guitars do
> sound less good, I like some of the new guitars, but they do not sound
> like old guitars.
>
> However, IMO expensive guitars are better to play, sometimes even the
> position of the pots is better for expensive guitars and for sure an
> acoustic guitar with a good sound, that has clean octaves etc. always is
> expensive.
>
> Of course, I'm talking about 2000 to 3000 EUR and not about 15000
> EUR ;).

My only electric guitar (don't have it anymore) was a Les Paul copy
bought the year before the vendor started calling it a Les Paul copy.
Outside of the weight and shape, it had nothing else in common with a
Les Paul. The pickups lacked the Les Paul punch. The neck lacked
smoothness, the frets were rough, the factory action way too high. But
it was US$200 in the late 1960s, vs a whole lot more for a real Les Paul.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden