Re: [LAU] S/PDIF in with ESI Juli@ and JACK

From: Peter Nelson <peter@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 04 2013 - 10:47:17 EEST

On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 21:39 +0200, Gabbe Nord wrote:
> Hello!
>

> I recently got myself an internal PCIe card, a ESI Juli@ XTe. It uses
> the ice1724 chipset, and I'm really happy with it.
>

> However, I cannot seem to get the S/PDIF in working. In JACK, 2
> entries of the card shows up. One that says hw0,Juli, and one that
> says hw1,Juli, and also is noted as IEC958.

hw0,Juli & hw1,Juli seem a bit weird. Do you mean hw:Juli,0 & hw:Juli,1?

> My analogue ins and outs work fine, but only 2 ins show up in JACK,
> even though I'd imagine I'd get one more for my S/PDIF in.

If you want to use the analogue inputs tell jack to use hw:Juli,0
If you want to use the S/PDIF input tell jack to use hw:Juli,1
If you want to use both, use alsa_in/zita_a2j on one of them.

(You may be able to use device combining if the card lets you clock
everything together.)

> Does anyone have experience with this? I have all sorts of options in
> alsamixer/qasmixer (GUI-mixer I use), but I just can't wrap my head
> around it. It just won't work.
>
> If I use hw1,Juli as the device for JACK, it usually just crashes and
> there's no real difference.

This may happen if there's no S/PDIF signal, as then there is no clock
for the card to sync to.