Re: [LAU] S/PDIF in with ESI Juli@ and JACK

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 22 2013 - 07:19:42 EEST

On Sun, April 21, 2013 1:28 pm, Gabbe Nord wrote:
> Hello Len and all others!
>
> I don't quite get what you mean, sorry. Could you perhaps elaborate a
> little (read: explain to me like I'm 5 years old ;) ). Thanks a ton for
> trying!

From one 5 year old to another :)

> Here's a picture of my QASMixer with the inputs as well:
> http://www.imagebam.com/image/fef059250185749

I am assuming this is hw:Juli or hw:Juli,0 I am not seeing any input
levels still. I would assume that moving any of the red controls also
moves the blue ones next to them. That actually makes sense. There should
not be any controls for a spdif input as levels would be on the spdif
preamp end. I think it will be the same on the spdif output which looks to
be a copy of the DAC output> I do not know if that can be changed, it
would depend on which port the card uses for it's output (the chip looks
to support up to 10 output channels including spdif).

BTW, the mixer only show controls, which in your case is not helping, you
need to see the ports as well.

> What I've tried (with no success):
>
> * Setting the hw:Juli,1 as input (to access the S/PDIF in that way) and
> hw:Juli,0 as output (to still output through my speakers in JACK)
> * Using zita-j2a -d hw:Juli,1 which proved to only give access to the
> outputs

> * Using zita-a2j -d hw:Juli,1 which seems to not be able to start
> synchronization (it just keeps spamming "Starting synchronization." in the
> terminal)

Which makes sense seeing as you are already using hw:Juli,1 with jack so
zita can't use the same lines.

What happens if you just set jack to hw:Juli,0 for both in and out on
jack? do you get analog in and out? If so good.

then maybe set zita-a2j -d hw:Juli,1 for spdif in and zita-j2a -d
hw:Juli,1 for the output. Does it work?

I'll look for a bit more info... I don't have one myself, so it a mix of
experience on what I do have and research on what you have.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net