Re: [LAU] "band in a box" solution for linux?

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 02 2013 - 19:21:33 EEST

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 8:01 AM, rosea.grammostola
<rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 04/05/2013 06:22 PM, Bob van der Poel wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky<znmeb@email-addr-hidden>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've used Impro-Visor, although it's oriented towards jazz and
>>> learning to improvise rather than providing a generic accompaniment
>>> tool set.
>>

>> As the author of MMA I'd like to invite you all to give it a try. I
>> can tell you that I use it and the generated MIDI files on daily
>> basis for practice and for the occasional solo gig.
>>
>> http://www.mellowood.ca/mma
>

> Working from a command line/ script is not my most favorite workflow when
> composing or music editing. I tried the gui Linuxband, but found two major
> drawbacks for me:

Sorry about the GUI thing. But, I'm convinced that editing a script is
the easy way to do things. We'll agree to disagree here.

> 1) no mixer to turn off an particular instrument

Please read the MMA manual. There are lots of ways to do this.

> 2) no funk style

Styles are really quite easy to write. That's one of features of MMA,
I think, is that the styles (and songs files) are all in plain text.

> And probably it would be more easy to have a more flexible way to route midi
> to a certain sample (also without a 'hard coded' instrument number).

MMA supports translation tables. So you can call any midi "voice"
anything you want.

But, please remember, that MMA's job is to create a midi file. Once
that is done, you can use that file with any other midi-aware DAW or
whatever.

**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca