Re: [LAU] RME Multiface and an extra 8 output channels

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 14 2013 - 17:09:25 EEST

Iain!

>>> What would be your suggestion for 16 outs on linux?
>> Do you want to expand that channel number in the future?
> It's a possibility. I am curious to know what 16-out or higher systems
> work on Linux?

PCI-only, and just audio interfaces (ie bridging to some audio standard
format):

RME: RayDAT (24), AES (32), MADI (64), MADIFX (192)
Marian: A3 (24), M2 (128)
There's also an ethersound interface supported.

In all those cases you would need an external converter. All those
solutions would cost much more than just a cheap ADAT converter or a
second Multiface.

>> The cheapest solution with exactly the same output characteristics:
>> Get a second used Multiface I and use it as ADAT->Analogue converter
>> box. Measure the ADAT transport delay (should be in whole samples) and
>> compensate the latency. Done.
> The MF-I is hard to come by here - and as I mentioned - importing things
> through international mail is subject to a heavy tax (even used
> equipment) and sometimes items are stolen (it's happened more than once
> to me).

Packet insurances exist, so who cares?

> Ralf mentioned that syncing with a ADA8000 via the ADAT produces an
> audible difference.

I have no experience with such crap gear.

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key B3B9226C