Re: [LAU] RME Multiface and an extra 8 output channels

From: Iain Mott <mott@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 14 2013 - 13:23:18 EEST

> > What would be your suggestion for 16 outs on linux?
>
> Do you want to expand that channel number in the future?

It's a possibility. I am curious to know what 16-out or higher systems
work on Linux?

> The cheapest solution with exactly the same output characteristics:
> Get a second used Multiface I and use it as ADAT->Analogue converter
> box. Measure the ADAT transport delay (should be in whole samples) and
> compensate the latency. Done.

The MF-I is hard to come by here - and as I mentioned - importing things
through international mail is subject to a heavy tax (even used
equipment) and sometimes items are stolen (it's happened more than once
to me).

Ralf mentioned that syncing with a ADA8000 via the ADAT produces an
audible difference. Is Word clock syncing more reliable? I know matching
a MF-I and the ADA8000 will likely result in different output
characteristics and be limited to 48kHz audio - but these units are
readily available here and quite cheap. It's tempting. Do you have an
opinion?

And Ralf, no, unfortunately I can't test RME equipment in this or any
nearby city.

cheers,

Iain