Re: [LAU] RME Multiface and an extra 8 output channels

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue May 14 2013 - 14:13:00 EEST

It's said that WC is more accurate, but the main issue is what Flo
pointed out. Different hardware needs a fine tuning regarding to the
latency compensation.

I don't measure what I get for ADAT sync without WC here, but there's an
audible phase shift. Using one output from the RME and the other from
the ADA, the stereo effect is wider. I didn't test, if this will cause
serious issues for mixing, especially when the channels will be routed
to mono.

For Qtractor you at best can be exact to the ms, but even this isn't
always possible and a compensation < 1ms is impossible using Qtractor.

So it's a serious question, how to compensate latency to get it sample
accurate.

I don't know what can be done by the RME tools, since my card isn't good
supported for Linux at the moment.

During the night and morning I installed a XP to do some tests, but I've
got issues creating a working graphics driver and Internet
connection :(. There are no issues running XP in VBox on Linux, but that
doesn't help, for testing the RME hardware and tools.

I agree with Flo that the tolerances of your amps and speakers likely is
bigger, but since it's a chain, it might add phase shift, even if it
shouldn't be audible for the mix, doing the mastering becomes harder,
the more similar issues are added.