Re: [LAU] RME Multiface and an extra 8 output channels

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 14 2013 - 12:49:19 EEST

Iain,

> You mention the multiface 2 is faster too. Will there be a
> problem-causing delay between the multiface 1 and 2 channels, a
> difference in sound quality, or both?

Of course the sound output is different on a measurable scale. Wether it
is on a scale that might cause problems for your use case, I doubt. The
tolerances of your amps and speakers might be bigger by a few magnitudes.

> What would be your suggestion for 16 outs on linux?

Do you want to expand that channel number in the future? In that case it
would probably make more sense to get an interface that gives you more
channels in the first place instead of maxing out a smaller interface
and having to throw it away in the next expansion step.

> I'm not necessarily limited to expanding upon the Multiface/HDSP that I
> already have for this project, although saving money is certainly a good
> thing!

The cheapest solution with exactly the same output characteristics:
Get a second used Multiface I and use it as ADAT->Analogue converter
box. Measure the ADAT transport delay (should be in whole samples) and
compensate the latency. Done.

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key B3B9226C