Re: [LAU] Questions about LV2

From: hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Wed May 15 2013 - 00:31:41 EEST

Am 14.05.2013 19:50, schrieb Julien Claassen:
> Hi J.!
> Thanks for the explanation. So that does clear it once and for all
> and means, that I must be careful in my choice of LV2 plugins. :-( At
> least it's a definite answer to what I - so inexpertly - wanted to ask
> in the first place.
> Kindly yours
> Julien

Hi Julien

Don't blindly believe what J.Liles tells here (SCNR)
Mostly the assumptions are wrong. The LV2 specs didn't provide a
communication directly from the custom plugin UI to the dsp part of the
plug! What the LV2 specs provide is a messages system over the host. So
UI's communicate with the dsp engine over the host, it's a message
system. There is no direct access from UI to dsp.
The question here is "Did the host understand the message, and could he
provide a 'interface' to handle it?
Like a E-mail provider, you didn't need to understand the message to
provide it. The same is true for the message system from UI to Host to
plugin engine (dsp)
So the question here is, did the plug provide enough information, in
form of mete data, to the host, so that the host can provide his own
interface to handle the message (in your case a cli interface, clearly)
and is the host able to read and interpret the meta data to do the right
thing with it.
One of the culprits of the LV2 specs are the "IT IS NO FIXED IN SPECS",
so it will ever come to new messages which a host wouldn't understand
and the impression of a 'magical communication between UI and dsp' will
come up, but that is only a sign for the "IT IS NO FIXED IN SPECS", it
could just be to new that the host understand it, but it works ( well
sorry, for you it wouldn't in that case, but as soon the host understand
and support it, it will work for you as well)
This way open a bunch for developers to create plugs which wasn't
possible with any other spec before.

greets
hermann