Re: [LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 17 2013 - 13:31:04 EEST

On Fri, May 17, 2013 7:52 pm, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> One of the main Rockchip hackers is Cortez, who previously ported Ubuntu
> and Debian to the Zaurus PDAs. He says that Rockchip have not been playing
> nice with him and others interested in their driver and kernel code. GPL
> violations? Maybe so.
>
> http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/comments.php?y=13&m=05&entry=entry130507-124714

More likely it is because they are not direct customers for Rock-Chip.
Most OEM's have a minimum quantity of sales that will enable friendly and
direct support. In this case they are probably starting at 10k units. We
can estimate approx $5 per chip so it's around $50k expenditure required
to get their attention.

There are other ways to get inside too and maybe providing them with some
stats on the sales potential for audio/multimedia applications will get us
somewhere.

Maybe Perry is already on that level with them and if that is the case it
could also be a way in :-)

They might also be interested in knowing what kind of companies are using
Linux for multimedia and how their products fit into that equation too.

We can't assume that the Rock-Chip sales and marketing team know anything
about Linux Audio/Multimedia. They may be exclusively focused on Android
development because they think it is the only market for their product.

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Patrick Shirkey <
> pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, May 17, 2013 7:08 pm, Dan MacDonald wrote:
>> > I looked into these devices a bit more last night. It seems Picuntu
>> (which
>> > is based upon Ubuntu 12.10 and still in beta) currently only supports
>> the
>> > dual-core RK3066 devices and I failed to find any success stories of
>> > people
>> > having got Ubuntu (or any non-Android Linux) to install on the quad
>> core
>> > RK3188s.
>> >
>> > Picuntu doesn't yet include the Mali GPU drivers but there are
>> > instructions
>> > available for installing the Mali drivers which apparently brings you
>> > accelerated 2D and OGLES2 under xorg. However, its the VPU which
>> handles
>> > video playback accel and I'm not sure this is working yet for the
>> RK3066.
>> >
>> > Another pitfall is the wifi/bt chipsets as, having a read through
>> forums
>> > for these devices, it would seem not all the wifi chipsets are
>> supported
>> > by
>> > Picuntu yet so thats another thing to look out for before anyone takes
>> the
>> > plunge and buys one.
>> >

>> Surely it's just a case of recompiling the picuntu kernel with the right
>> modules enabled.
>>
>> Android kernel "extensions" are now a part of 3.x so unless the OEM has
>> not released their drivers we should be able to get it running.
>>
>> If there are hassles encountered we can contact the OEM directly for
>> additional info and I'm sure Perry has some details in that regard. They
>> will appreciate having some assistance with QA and testing especially if
>> it increases their market potential/share.
>>
>> I have found the smaller Chinese manufacturers to be pretty
>> accommodating
>> in that regard.

>> upon

>> --