Re: [LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

From: psk <perry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 17 2013 - 16:12:16 EEST

Each of your observations are true.

Dan MacDonald-3 wrote
> I looked into these devices a bit more last night. It seems Picuntu (which
> is based upon Ubuntu 12.10 and still in beta) currently only supports the
> dual-core RK3066 devices and I failed to find any success stories of
> people
> having got Ubuntu (or any non-Android Linux) to install on the quad core
> RK3188s.

Work is underway to remedy this.

Dan MacDonald-3 wrote
> Picuntu doesn't yet include the Mali GPU drivers but there are
> instructions
> available for installing the Mali drivers which apparently brings you
> accelerated 2D and OGLES2 under xorg. However, its the VPU which handles
> video playback accel and I'm not sure this is working yet for the RK3066.

For completeness, there is a sister project (home://io) which includes GPU
drivers. For our application, however, GPU drivers are not essential
currently.

Dan MacDonald-3 wrote
> Another pitfall is the wifi/bt chipsets as, having a read through forums
> for these devices, it would seem not all the wifi chipsets are supported
> by
> Picuntu yet so thats another thing to look out for before anyone takes the
> plunge and buys one.

Definitely true but improving. An accepted practice with such sticks is
currently to go out to a USB hub / Ethernet dongle.

As someone else indicated, these sticks generally have no dedicated audio in
or out. This may be mitigated by using USB based i/o.

Perry

-----
Partner
KSK Electrics, LLC