Re: [LAU] RME Multiface and an extra 8 output channels

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 18 2013 - 00:08:29 EEST

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 11:18:08AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 10:58 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > "measuring" a preamp/ad stage with open connectors says precisely
> > _nothing_ about the quality of the stage but a lot about the person
> > doing the measuring.
>
> Don't worry, I'm aware abut this :D,

If you are aware of the fact that your measurement methods (if any)
are completely bogus, why do you present the 'results' as facts ?

Do you really believe your own measurements ? If noise seems to
increase from -110 to -54 dB for sample rates above 128k, doesn't
that trigger even a hint of a suspicion that something could be
really wrong with the way you measure this ? No ? Nothing ? If not,
you shouldn't waste your time doing measurements of any kind - it
really requires a different attitude.

> > really, the amount of misinformation you are spreading here is
> > unbelievable.
>
> No it isn't, I just pointed out, that 48 KHz usually is what is needed
> and that increasing the sample frequency will increase noise.

In the analog world, increasing bandwidth while everything else
is fixed will increase thermal noise power. Noise density will
remain the same, and that's the only thing that matters.

In the digital world, increasing the sample rate while keeping the
number of bits the same means the same quantisation noise power
will be spread over a larger BW, and noise density will go down.

If you measure anything else then either your measurement is bogus
or the equipment you're testing is broken.

Some of your remarks on the audio world in general may be to the
point, and I could even agree with some of them, but this talk
about noise is complete nonsense.

Ciao,

--
FA