Re: [LAU] [OT] photo processing (was Distro upgrade vs: new install)

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 01 2013 - 07:54:53 EEST

On 05/31/2013 01:58 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 05/31/2013 09:29 PM, Jouni Rinne wrote:

>>> I tried out Darktable. I couldn't make heads or tails of it. For
>>> instance, never
>>> figured out how to get it to actually output a processed image.
>>>
>>> So I dropped it and went with RawTherapee instead. :-)
>>>
>>> But neither of them have the speed of the proprietary program,
>>> neither support
>>> using multiple cores, neither have the photo management chops. (Well,
>>> near as I
>>> can tell about Darktable.)
>>>
>> Unfortunately, I have to agree. Darktable has the most un-intuitive and
>> confusing interface I've seen in any program. A shame.
>
> unlike many other high-quality open source programs, darktable comes
> with excellent documentation.
>
> very much like all other open source programs that come with
> documentation, nobody seems to bother to read it :-D

I haven't had to consult documentation for RawTherapee in order to do
what I want to do with it.

> exporting a processed image happens with the "export" feature in the
> lighttable view (surprise!).

Where's that hiding? I never once saw it.

> and not only does it support multiple cores
> where it matters (during batch processing and export), it even does
> openCL rendering if your graphics hardware allows it.
>
> if you think it's the most unintuitive ui, try blender for a refreshing
> sense of perspective :) powerful programs tend to have a learning curve...

But equally powerful programs that do the same thing as darktable have
UIs that make sense and are usable WITHOUT HAVING TO CONSULT THE FINE
MANUAL.

Anyway, my on-again-off-again experiences with 3D software (about 5
different programs) has always stumbled on their interfaces. The only
thing that helps are ancient memories of engineering and architectural
drafting in middle school!

> ok, enough ot blabber, i'm a darktable fanboy, and i'll leave it at that
> :-D

That's OK. Does darktable have a plugin to turn a RAW photo into a MIDI
file derived from the graphic image?

See, now we're on-topic again. ;-)

--
David