Re: [LAU] [OT] photo processing (was Distro upgrade vs: new install)

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 01 2013 - 23:21:24 EEST

On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 07:53:30AM -1000, david wrote:

> On 05/31/2013 11:30 PM, Federico Bruni wrote:
>
> > I think that the UI of Darktable is great, especially the last version
> > (view of modules is improved, for example)
>
> Thanks, but I think that if *someone must show you how to use a
> program* when you're already familiar with the knowledge domain
> (photo processing), it's not an intuitive UI.

The original comment was on how to load/save/import/export
in Darktable. How an app organises those operations should
depend mainly on how it manages data. Which is something a
user should be aware of, and that has little to do with any
application domain specific knowledge.

Darktable is not (thank $GOD) your typical 'document editor',
it never modifies its input files for example. Giving it the
usual top left corner 'File' menu would cripple it instead
of enhancing it, and the way it actually works makes perfect
sense at least to me. And indeed the manual is excellent.

(View from an occasional user's POV, I'm by no means deeply
into image processing)

Ciao,

--
FA