Re: [LAU] [OT] photo processing (was Distro upgrade vs: new install)

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 02 2013 - 03:22:09 EEST

On 06/01/2013 10:21 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 07:53:30AM -1000, david wrote:
>
>> On 05/31/2013 11:30 PM, Federico Bruni wrote:
>>
>>> I think that the UI of Darktable is great, especially the last version
>>> (view of modules is improved, for example)
>>
>> Thanks, but I think that if *someone must show you how to use a
>> program* when you're already familiar with the knowledge domain
>> (photo processing), it's not an intuitive UI.
>
> The original comment was on how to load/save/import/export
> in Darktable. How an app organises those operations should
> depend mainly on how it manages data. Which is something a
> user should be aware of, and that has little to do with any
> application domain specific knowledge.
>
> Darktable is not (thank $GOD) your typical 'document editor',
> it never modifies its input files for example. Giving it the
> usual top left corner 'File' menu would cripple it instead
> of enhancing it, and the way it actually works makes perfect
> sense at least to me. And indeed the manual is excellent.
>
> (View from an occasional user's POV, I'm by no means deeply
> into image processing)

None of the RAW photo processors I've used modify the RAW file; RAW
files are the raw data files from the camera's sensor and not meant or
designed to be edited. So it is part of the domain knowledge.

Bibble5 has a File menu and a Save option that you can use to output a
processed image. Rawtherapee has a button that does the same thing (if
opened with a specific file, otherwise, you can either Save processed
image or queue them up and batch process them).

Making the function to save a processed image readily visible wouldn't
cripple Darktable anymore than it has crippled any of its competition.

Still Darktable's UI is better than that of MS Word 1.0 for DOS, where
you printed documents by first selecting the Output menu ...

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden