Re: [LAU] Jack, lowlatency, generic, update

From: hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Mon Jun 03 2013 - 09:33:04 EEST

Am 03.06.2013 01:36, schrieb david:
> I always do a backup first. Have had trivial things like changes in X
> video drivers make X unusable.
>
>> Although I benefit from the developments in multimedia
>> software I'm not sure I like exposing my system to so many
>> opportunities for failure.
>>
>> A strategy I've used in past is to *not* upgrade until I
>> need something. Maybe could call it it "choose your own
>> freeze".
>
> I usually just upgrade what I want when I want.

I do it the other way round, I put on hold what I didn't want to
upgrade, and upgrade the rest.
I never do a backup, and in the last 10 Years I didn't ever need one. ;-)
I usually do apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade and read the
output, that gives me enough information if I need to put packages on
hold, or if I could safely just run the full upgrade.
If a package is broken after upgrade, I just downgrade it to the one
from testing.