Re: [LAU] Synchronization of audio with MIDI file

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 14 2013 - 16:30:12 EEST

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Angel de Vicente <angelv@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> With Rosegarden and the piano roll, I can easily stretch/move each of
> the MIDI notes, but I didn't find an easy way to synchronize with my
> audio wave (though I haven't used Rosegarden a lot, so perhaps I missed
> something).
>
> Ideally I would like to:
>
> + load in one program both the audio and the MIDI file
> + see the soundwave forms for both audio and MIDI plus the piano roll
> for the MIDI file
> + if something is not synchronized properly (due to the nature of the
> music, I can see it nicely by inspectint the soundwave), I would like
> to stretch/move the MIDI notes in the piano roll and interactively see
> how the soundwave changes, so that I can immediately see if the MIDI
> and the audio are better synchronized.
>
> Is there a tool where I can do that easily? Perhaps there is some other
> procedure/tool that can help me with this?

Actually, I think Ardour3 would be ideal for this, as you can easily work
with MIDI piano roll and audio waveforms right on the same screen (most
sequencers open MIDI piano roll up into a separate window). As you can see
in this screenshot, you have everything right in front of you and its easy
to set synch points for both audio and MIDI:

http://brettwmccoy.com/images/ardour-3.2-screenshot.png