Re: [LAU] Synchronization of audio with MIDI file

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 14 2013 - 18:26:55 EEST

On 06/14/2013 02:30 PM, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Angel de Vicente <angelv@email-addr-hidden
> <mailto:angelv@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>

> With Rosegarden and the piano roll, I can easily stretch/move each of
> the MIDI notes, but I didn't find an easy way to synchronize with my
> audio wave (though I haven't used Rosegarden a lot, so perhaps I missed
> something).
>
> Ideally I would like to:
>
> + load in one program both the audio and the MIDI file
> + see the soundwave forms for both audio and MIDI plus the piano roll
> for the MIDI file
> + if something is not synchronized properly (due to the nature of the
> music, I can see it nicely by inspectint the soundwave), I would like
> to stretch/move the MIDI notes in the piano roll and
> interactively see
> how the soundwave changes, so that I can immediately see if the MIDI
> and the audio are better synchronized.
>
> Is there a tool where I can do that easily? Perhaps there is some other
> procedure/tool that can help me with this?
>

> Actually, I think Ardour3 would be ideal for this, as you can easily
> work with MIDI piano roll and audio waveforms right on the same screen
> (most sequencers open MIDI piano roll up into a separate window). As you
> can see in this screenshot, you have everything right in front of you
> and its easy to set synch points for both audio and MIDI:
>
> http://brettwmccoy.com/images/ardour-3.2-screenshot.png

won't say that qtractor is ideal or whatever

but given enough zoom level and some nice and neat window management
(i'm happy with kwin:)) on both main track-view canvas and specific midi
clip editor (aka. piano-roll) you can work it out just fine, i guess...

it's what i've been doing for ages anyway, my own cat/dogfood, i know;)

cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden