Re: [LAU] Linux Audio podcast, episode001

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 02 2013 - 21:55:38 EEST

Hey Diego!

NON is generally a nice approach. The problem I had with it, as far as I
remember, is that it does not support MIDI. Which really kills the whole
deal for me, since the rest of Linux Audio apps are MIDI apps. Somewhere on
the NON site there was a lengthy instruction on how to setup a bridge
between MIDI and OSC, but that was not my cup of tea, that kind of tech
voodoo.

The power of Linux Audio - the diversity of solutions - is at the same time
its weakness, as typically your setup at any given time will reliably have
apps that fall out of your routine. Currently for me it is seq24 that does
not work with JACK Transport. If this is going to be fixed someday, by that
time some other app might have another problem. At the same time seq24 has
no reliable automation (I was told it is there, I found nothing, tbh). And
also seq24 has weird volume editing.
As mentioned with NON, it does not support MIDI. Ardour 3 works great, but
does not support DSSI, so no WhySynth or Nekobee, for instance.

The list goes on. There is always a "but". And it is absolutely normal, as
each app is a project in of itself. Even if it is supposed to be a tool
that makes sense only with other applications, rarely apps are designed
with the whole environment and/or too much time and effort is required to
accommodate said environment. And so you end up with this shattered puzzle.
You put one piece in - another falls out.

This is why I believe a different approach would be great - basically, a
modular all-in-one system, meaning modules that are designed to speak to
each other.

How realistic is that to make? Don't know.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/