Re: [LAU] Zita-ajbridge ?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 20 2013 - 14:47:43 EEST

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:33:26PM -0400, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> I would like to use jackd in 32bit (or is it 24bit, or float?) but
> output in 16bit (resampled with zita-j2a). This is to play 24bit files
> with the best possible quality when using multiple 16bit sound cards or
> USB modules.

If you use mplayer with jack output (-ao jack) then it will
*always* output in floating point format because that is the
only format that Jack accepts. And mplayer does not know which
soundcard Jack is using. Which means that

> When starting jackd normally (with the alsa backend and a 16bit sound
> card), mplayer output is 16bit (that's not what I want).

can't be true.

As said, Jack is *always* using floating point. It will convert
the playback channels to whatever the sound card can handle.

Ciao,

--
FA