Re: [LAU] [Music] Two little tracks

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 06 2013 - 16:58:19 EEST

On 06.08.2013 15:35, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:

> On 05. aug. 2013 17:47, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> getting back into Renoise a bit lately. So here's two rough cuts. One is
>> more experimental than the other :D
>>
>> https://soundcloud.com/fps-2/check-refrac
>>
>> https://soundcloud.com/fps-2/whence
>>
>> Have fun,
>> Flo
>
> The check track wasn't my cup of tea, too much of what I connect to
> "techno" - lots of sounds, but not much really happening.
>
> Strange then, that the same could be said about whence, as I like that
> one a lot more. It has a vibe of 70's minimalistic krautrock and a
> more organic feel I think. Almost like it could be played on acoustic
> instruments.
>
> Thx for sharing!

Hi Alf,

thanks for your comments. These two tracks definitely lack in
arrangement. I find in electronic music (even more so than in, let's
say, the traditional pop song format) there's two "poles":

- Repetitiveness: This is where electronic music becomes meditation.
This is especially true for music made for particular settings

- Surprise: And with this come all the traditional ingredients of what
makes a good song aside from a catchy hook.

When playing with a tracker or sequencer it is easy to get "caught in
the loop" and more often than not I find myself caught on the repetitive
side. Definitely in these two tracks it's the same thing. Whence at
least has _some_ harmonic movement going (the short interlude of A minor
between the longer D minor parts).

When playing jazz or samba/bossa nova with a band (I play guitar, too)
it's much easier to get some movement going than in sequenced music.
Maybe it's also just a workflow issue. I'm working on it :D

Have fun,
Flo