Re: [LAU] linux compatible USB Audio Interface

From: Lewis Pike <phaselocker@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 07 2013 - 21:13:26 EEST

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 09:51:23AM -0700, profiles wrote:
> I am inviting suggestions from people with experience in the application
> of audio hardware in the fedora environment. I am looking for a device
> that uses an independent power plug, connects with usb 2.0, and has both
> MIDI and analogue inputs and outputs. A device similar to this would be
> great:
>
> http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-44VSL/media

I currently have an M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio & MIDI interface
which I am using with Linux. Specifically, It's been used in both
Ubuntu and Arch Linux environments.

I find that audio playback works well for my needs, though I haven't
tried to output anything more 2 channels at a time.

I've had problems with audio capture where certain recordings would be
heavily distorted and I would have to power cycle the device in order
to get audio capture working properly again. I could seem to find any
reports of other encountering similar problems, but at the end of the
day, audio recording has been a bit of a bust with this device.

I have only used the MIDI ports a handful of times but I don't recall
encountering any major problems.

So, in my case, I've had mixed results with this device, though I'm
not sure if it is a driver issue or something related to my particular
hardware.

I hope this helps.

.lewis