Re: [LAU] sortof OT -- ART tube pac preamp and compressor noisy?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Aug 13 2013 - 18:37:24 EEST

On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 08:08 -0700, Rusty Perez wrote:
> Also, when I get really close to my ART tube pac unit, I hear a quiet
> humming from the box itself.

This likely is the normal sound of a mains transformer, especially when
the plates of the mains transformer aren't sealed anymore, IOW when
there's air between them, the transformer becomes loud. This hum
shouldn't be audible by the audio signal.

One of the loudest transformers I know is used for my Matrix-1000 and
it's one of the devices that IMO do cause completely no audible noise
and/or hum. A loud transformer shouldn't have impact to the audio
signal.