Re: [LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode002

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 15 2013 - 01:13:58 EEST

On 08/14/2013 04:00 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey fellas!
>
> This time talking of getting tired to file bug reports, get the
> podcast here:
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_podcast
> <http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_podcast>
>

> Would be interested in what you think!

Hey Louigi,

I feel your frustration. I don't like it when things break, especially
during a performance or recording. However, I'm not sure what you're
want to accomplish by declaring that too much software is broken *and*
that you're not going to take part in the fix-up process, at least not
by making bug reports.

But the plain fact remains that for *your* purposes it's true that there
really is too much unfinished stuff out there. You come from a world
where music software is packaged neat and ready to roll, and you are
now trying to reach your musical goals in a world where no such
packaging exists as a matter of course. Frankly, I probably wouldn't
bother. I was initially attracted to Linux because of the software it
ran well, and fortunately for me it suited my musical tendencies. Today,
most of the software I use - Csound, Ardour, LADSPA, SuperCollider, etc
- is well-established and well-maintained, with large and active
development and user groups. You're using some of the latest things to
evolve in the Linux audio world, e.g. synth plugins and pattern-based
audio sequencers, most of which things have been in consistent
development on Windows and/or the Mac for many years. Unfortunately for
you and other musicians working in your artistic domains attention in
Linux audio has been paid to other directions. I do see things improving
in your direction, but only by fits and starts, hence the many
unfinished/broken projects. Alas, beyond bug reports, I have no
suggestions that will radically or readily improve the situation, though
I do seriously advise using money - a.k.a. the universal solvent - as an
incentive/motivator.

Best,

dp