Re: [LAU] Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 78, Issue 11

From: Roger Weinheimer <rweinheimer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 15 2013 - 06:44:35 EEST

ALSAPLAYER CONFIG
$ cat .alsaplayer/config
#
# alsaplayer config file
#
# Only edit this file if the application is not active.
# Any modifications might (will!) be lost otherwise.
#
http.buffer_size=1048576
mad.parse_id3=true
main.default_interface=gtk2
main.default_output=alsa
main.multiopen=true
main.period_count=8
main.period_size=4096
main.play_on_start=false
miniG4:~$

My alsaplayer version is 0.99.80-5+b1 which is the latest version in Debian packages. Alsaplayer.sf.net shows a released version of 0.99.81. Len, from what you said, I assume this means I need to download the source and any dependencies and build it locally. I cloned the github repo and am rtfm for the source.

Before building, I removed the old alsaplayer.

root@email-addr-hidden:~# apt-get remove alsaplayer-alsa alsaplayer-common alsaplayer-text

So I took a shot at building alsaplayer. That endeavor seems to be fraught with peril. The INSTALL and README files are pretty sketchy. After running the bootstrap script and then configure, I get the following. Aside from the syntax error which is obviously a show-stopper, should I be worried about the other not found scripts or programs?

root@email-addr-hidden:~/alsaplayer# ./configure
checking build system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for style of include used by make... none
checking dependency style of gcc... none
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl.exe... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
checking dependency style of g++... none
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for msgfmt... no
checking for gmsgfmt... :
checking for xgettext... no
checking for msgmerge... no
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for shared library run path origin... done
./configure: line 6162: gt_INTL_MACOSX: command not found
checking for GNU gettext in libc... yes
checking whether to use NLS... yes
checking where the gettext function comes from... libc
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ar... ar
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... (cached) no
checking whether g++ accepts -g... (cached) no
checking dependency style of g++... (cached) none
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) no
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for library containing opendir... none required
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking linux/cdrom.h usability... yes
checking linux/cdrom.h presence... yes
checking for linux/cdrom.h... yes
checking sys/soundcard.h usability... yes
checking sys/soundcard.h presence... yes
checking for sys/soundcard.h... yes
checking sys/audioio.h usability... no
checking sys/audioio.h presence... no
checking for sys/audioio.h... no
checking audio/audiolib.h usability... no
checking audio/audiolib.h presence... no
checking for audio/audiolib.h... no
checking libintl.h usability... yes
checking libintl.h presence... yes
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking mad.h usability... no
checking mad.h presence... no
checking for mad.h... no
checking id3tag.h usability... no
checking id3tag.h presence... no
checking for id3tag.h... no
checking FLAC/stream_decoder.h usability... no
checking FLAC/stream_decoder.h presence... no
checking for FLAC/stream_decoder.h... no
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for working memcmp... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for working mmap... yes
checking for madvise... yes
checking for doxygen... false
configure: WARNING: *** doxygen not found, docs will not be built
checking for libmikmod-config... no
checking for libmikmod - version >= 3.1.7... no
*** The libmikmod-config script installed by libmikmod could not be found
*** If libmikmod was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the LIBMIKMOD_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to libmikmod-config.
checking for Ogg... no
*** Could not run Ogg test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means Ogg was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved Ogg since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the ogg-config script:
checking for Vorbis... no
*** Could not run Vorbis test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means Vorbis was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved Vorbis since it was installed.
checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
checking for glBegin in -lMesaGL... no
checking GL/gl.h usability... no
checking GL/gl.h presence... no
checking for GL/gl.h... no
checking GL/glx.h usability... no
checking GL/glx.h presence... no
checking for GL/glx.h... no
checking for FLAC__stream_decoder_new in -lFLAC... no
checking for FLAC__stream_decoder_init_ogg_stream in -lFLAC... no
checking for mad_stream_init in -lmad... no
checking for id3_file_open in -lid3tag... no
./configure: line 18675: syntax error near unexpected token `JACK,'
./configure: line 18675: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(JACK, jack >= 0.118.0, have_jack=yes, have_jack=no)'