Re: [LAU] Art's suitability for anything

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 17 2013 - 21:28:15 EEST

On Sat, August 17, 2013 11:04 am, Brent Busby wrote:

> The ironic thing about all of this is that the most potent rock
> subculture ever, the psychedelic period in the 60's, was very political,
> and happened in an evironment that's very similar to where we are now --
> questionable foreign wars, questionable executive branch practices (from
> both parties), massive popular disapproval of the US government.
> Except this time, music and art is strangely silent about it all. One
> would think in times like these, artists would not need to be coaxed to
> make a statement.

The thing is, we do not live in a democracy. We seem to have a practical
anarchy. That is whoever has the biggest stick leads. (whatever that stick
might be) A lot of that stick seems to belong to those who release music
and other art, who have seen these things as a way of training the main
population to act a certain way that will meet their ends. Where are the
singer/songwriters? They are still around, but not on the
radio/itunes/record store/whatever. One has to search for self-released
stuff on private web sites for the most part. I would suggest that
political art that is counter power is actively suppressed. Even through
small acts like forcing utube to remove content for copyright purposes
without any need of proof. Protests are squashed much more
quickly/violently now too, and protestors labelled as terrorists. The
average radio artist is chosen for their malleability and told very firmly
what songs they will sing and how those songs will be represented in a
video. They have the name "star", but they are just an employee.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net