Re: [LAU] pro gear that runs embedded linux...

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Sep 05 2013 - 23:20:48 EEST

On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 14:32 -0500, Charles Z Henry wrote:
> Linux *is* frustrating to setup, but then tends to be very reliable
> and hassle-free once you've gone through the work to get there.

And that is exactly what people think. If it is based on Linux, it's for
geeks. Customers, even professional audio and video engineers want to
pay for something that already does work. Sure, they are aware that a
product does work without the need to do the setup, but they experienced
Linux with extra work and so it feels bad. Another emotional thing is
the secret recipe. Secret is better than open in the minds of most
customers. It's wiser not to advertise what's inside a product, there
are just some exceptions, if a company can make hardcore heavy rotation
commercials and sell a live style such as Apple and Microsoft, then it
sells. "We sell the product with the secret recipe inside."

An engineer want's to buy a mixer etc. and not a kernel. Known companies
selling professional mixers don't advertise that they have Alps faders
inside, this is done by companies who sell amateur mixers.

Take a look at the way those companies try to sell their products:

http://ams-neve.com/ -> http://ams-neve.com/products

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Home.aspx ->
http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/index.aspx

Both do it target-group-specific.

There's no target group for "once you've gone through the work", if you
want to sell.