Re: [LAU] mastering dilemma

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 06 2013 - 00:09:55 EEST

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 13:07 -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
>> with less cutting around 120-180Hz than most CD's seem to have
>
> That does sound like a HiFi bass tone control pot usually at around
> 100 Hz is cutting the bass ;), but I don't know what CDs and CD player
> you own.

No, not really. It varies with the album...material made in the 60's
and 70's tended to be mixed warmer than stuff made now. Most albums
these days are quite cold.

> I guess you are speaking about "music" made with virtual synth. Sure,
> absolutely no virtual synth can compare to vintage synth that use CEM
> (Curtis) chips.

No...I was comparing even to acoustic instruments...any instruments at
all. With the exception of maybe the aforemention cold Yamaha, almost
anything I record would have to have its low mids cut to have an EQ
similar to commercial recordings.

>> 2) To figure out why I would want that. On most decent speakers, it
>> seems to sound thin and lack authority. It's terrible having to cater
>> to the lowest common denominator.
>
> And why do you want/need to do that?

Well, that's a good question. I don't know if I do. I suppose I'm just
trying to make my recording portable to lots of listening gear, and also
to make it not sound horrendously different in tone from what everyone
expects.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky