Re: [LAU] pro gear that runs embedded linux...

From: Peter P. <p8rpp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 06 2013 - 01:52:00 EEST

* Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden> [2013-09-05 21:44]:
> On 09/05/2013 08:15 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > hi guys!
> >

> > i'm sure you all have seen your share of professional audio, video, and
> > lighting gear that apparently runs embedded linux but never mentions it
> > much (unless you happen upon the briefly flashing penguins immediately
> > after booting)...
> >
> > i just came across the midas pro2 (which i have to learn for an upcoming
> > job), and lo and behold, in the manual, midas saith:
> > "The PRO2 uses the reliable Linux operating system."
> >
> > not exactly in the brochure afaict, but in the very prominent first
> > section of the manual. :)
> >
> > other expensive boxes i've seen and used which appear to be running linux:
> >
> > * Allen & Heath iLive and GLD series audio mixers
> > * LAWO mc² series of audio mixers
> > * grandMA2 series of lighting controllers
> > * the DirectOut M.1k2 16x16 MADI router
> >
> > none of these make a secret out of their OS, but it doesn't seem to be
> > an advertising item, either. is it because people are generally
> > disinterested in and/or frightened by the fact that their gear has to
> > have some sort of operating system inside? i wonder if we'll live to see
> > the day where "linux inside" is a hot marketing punchline.
> >
> > i wonder if you guys have seen other pro gear whose data gets shuffled
> > around by industrious yet unseen penguins under the hood?
> >

> Hi Jörn,
>
> Didn't the desk in the SPSC Studio at the IEM in Graz run on Linux? What
> was the brand already?
This is the LAWO mc^2 series Jörn already mentioned.
The SPSC is not part of IEM but an own institute right next to IEM at
the University of Technology Graz.

IEM belongs to the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, who
have a total of two MC^2, one in the Mumuth concert venue and another
one in their classic/jazz recording studio.
http://www.lawo.de/en/references/mumuth-graz.html

Jörn, I was once using a Midas XL8, which already ran Linux some
years ago.

best, Peter