Re: [LAU] pro gear that runs embedded linux...

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Sep 07 2013 - 14:06:42 EEST

On Sat, 2013-09-07 at 09:14 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 09:30:19PM -0400, Al Thompson wrote:
> > On 09/05/2013 04:20 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > >
> > > An engineer want's to buy a mixer etc. and not a kernel. Known companies
> > > selling professional mixers don't advertise that they have Alps faders
> > > inside, this is done by companies who sell amateur mixers.
> >
> > Of course it is!! Professional grade companies use P&Gs!
>
> >From what I remember of the ads in e.g. Studio Sound during
> the heydays of big analog mixers, most of the big names used
> P&G, and that *was* as selling point.

Ok, perhaps a less good example, you at least can see what kind of
faders are used by the fader knobs. Companies producing professional
gear might mention what's inside too, but less often that eye-catching,
as it is done for the amateurish gear I usually have to buy.

> But there is indeed a very clear difference in how things are
> marketed to professionals, prosumers and amateurs, even if the
> first two seem to converge somewhat. If I see a plugin GUI with
> rack handles, screws, shiny surfaces, an agressive color scheme
> designed to stand out, big trademarks or any text yelling at me,
> an illogical layout or any non-functional graphics, I know that
> I shouldn't waste my time with it.

That is a better description. While not all that flashy gear and not all
those flashy plugins are crap. Formerly in Germany it was usual to cover
names and logos with tape, when used in public and television, not only
regarding to laws against covert advertising.

However, sometimes there is Tux on a display of gear, but I never have
seen a tag "Linux inside" and IMO it's ok not to mention it that way.