Re: [LAU] M/S EQ in Linux

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 15 2013 - 10:11:04 EEST

On 09/13/2013 10:21 PM, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
>> On Friday 13 September 2013 09:47:46 Bob van der Poel did opine:
>>
>> Funny, or sad ... in the 60s and 70s phone companies boasted about the
>> fidelity and robustness of their landlines, and now we need to put up
>> with the crappy cell phone (which sounds like shit, and drops calls
>> more frequently than a whore's drawers). Stereo systems were installed
>> and balanced to a room, now it's a $20 pair of ear buds on a phone
>> playing a lo-res mp3.
>
> A bit off-topic, but if I never have to use a crackly lo-fi landline again I'll be quite happy. I haven't had a phone plugged in to mine for several years, and the only reason I still have a copper pair running to the house is that it's the only way to get broadband out here. I don't believe I actually have a landline phone to plug into it any more.

I understand the old phone system audio was optimized for one thing:
human speech. Narrow frequency range centered around the average human
speech range. Listening to music over that was horrible!

My cheap cell phone plays music far better than any landline phone ever did.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden