Re: [LAU] Some music recorded with Linux

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 24 2013 - 01:49:38 EEST

On Monday 23 September 2013 18:37:53 Fons Adriaensen did opine:

> Yesterday I made one of the most rewarding concert recordings
> I ever did. The opening concert of the 'Traiettorie' festival
> here in Parma, with violinist Hae-Sun Kang and five of her
> twenty-something students of the chamber music class in Paris.
> One of the pieces they played was Arnold Schoenberg's 'Verklaerte
> Nacht', the original version for string sextet. I've known it for
> at least thirty years and recorded it many times. It's IMHO one
> of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. It's also
> quite a difficult one to get right - a string quartet already
> requires a lot of very intimate coordination, and with six
> players this only gets much more complex.
> I'd been present at the rehearsals the days before the concert,
> and seen those young musicians work on it - passionately and
> without compromise. The recording has all the defects of a live
> one - background noises of all sorts - but I think they played
> wonderfully. Equipment used was two Neumann KM184 mics, an RME
> Micstasy and Ardour3. I can't make it available publicly, but
> if the rare birds who like this type of music give me a hint
> there may be some chance. Not that I want to show off my work,
> which is insignificant, but just to share what some talented
> and motivated young musicians are capable of.
>
> Ciao,

Fons, thanks for sharing the announcement. And I encourage you to make use
of the no news is bad news theory in terms of their notoriety / reputation
that gets them invited to preform again, perhaps even for scale or better
if they become well enough known. But if they hide their talent that you
just waxed so poetically about, under a basket woven of the fear of giving
away a performance, they are not going to find that road an easy one to
travel.

My own musical tastes run from some of the more famous operas, clear to a
story told in country-western. But if I can't hear them then I, being half
way around the planet, will never be able to judge for myself. So please
exert whatever influence you might have.

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You must realize that the computer has it in for you.  The irrefutable
proof of this is that the computer always does what you tell it to do.
         law-abiding citizens.