Re: [LAU] Theramin oscillator for LADSPA?

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 06 2013 - 23:38:22 EEST

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 13:29:23 -0700
Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 10:55:15AM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 01:59:15AM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.horst-theremin.com/images/_mid%20600%20Hz.jpg
> >
> > You don't need to reproduce the waveform, but the spectrum,
> > which is roughly:
> >
> > Freq Amp
> > ---------------
> > 1 1.000
> > 2 0.191
> > 3 0.065
> > 4 0.041
> > 5 0.019
> > 6 0.012
>
> Cool, thanks.
>
> How would one do that with LADSPA plugins? 6 sine wave oscillators into a mixer, one for each harmonic?
>
> I vaguely remember seeing an oscillator (maybe in AMS?) that had mixer settings for various harmonics, but I'm pretty sure it only went up to the first 3.
>
> Also, were you really able to come up with that harmonic recipe just by looking at that waveform? If so, I find that remarkably impressive.

I had a go at this with AdSynth in yoshimi but the harmonic amplitude only
has 64 steps (which I think are linear). I worked to the nearest approximation,
which left 6th harmonic at zero. It sounds sort-of right but not totally
convincing.

> > Apart from that the sound will be frequency and amplitude
> > modulated by minute movements of the player's hands.
> >

> True, that has a lot to do with the sound. I was thinking a ribbon controller or a simple X-Y trackpad (or an OSC thing on an Android tablet) would take care of that.

To get somewhere near this I put a light delayed vibrato on it, enabled
portamento and used the pitch wheel on my keyboard. A touch of reverb and I was
nearly doing the effects of 'The Forbidden Planet' :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk