Re: [LAU] Theramin oscillator for LADSPA?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 06 2013 - 23:29:23 EEST

On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 10:55:15AM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 01:59:15AM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
>
> > http://www.horst-theremin.com/images/_mid%20600%20Hz.jpg
>
> You don't need to reproduce the waveform, but the spectrum,
> which is roughly:
>
> Freq Amp
> ---------------
> 1 1.000
> 2 0.191
> 3 0.065
> 4 0.041
> 5 0.019
> 6 0.012

Cool, thanks.

How would one do that with LADSPA plugins? 6 sine wave oscillators into a mixer, one for each harmonic?

I vaguely remember seeing an oscillator (maybe in AMS?) that had mixer settings for various harmonics, but I'm pretty sure it only went up to the first 3.

Also, were you really able to come up with that harmonic recipe just by looking at that waveform? If so, I find that remarkably impressive.

> Apart from that the sound will be frequency and amplitude
> modulated by minute movements of the player's hands.

True, that has a lot to do with the sound. I was thinking a ribbon controller or a simple X-Y trackpad (or an OSC thing on an Android tablet) would take care of that.

-ken