Re: [LAU] OT - Audio and Video Synch

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Oct 19 2013 - 01:10:41 EEST

On Fri, 2013-10-18 at 22:36 +0100, James Stone wrote:
> Lastly, do any of you know any research about the limits of human
> perception with these kinds of things?

I don't know research about it, but there are recommendations for video
and film.

"The accuracy of A/V synchronisation at each stage should lie within the
range of Audio 5 ms early (soundbefore picture) to 15 ms late (sound
after picture).

Limits of the relative timing of the sound component of a television
programme relative to the corresponding picture component
Sound before picture Sound after picture
≤ 40 ms ≤ 60 ms" - http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/r/r037.pdf

"For television applications, audio should lead video by no more than 15
milliseconds and audio should lag video by no more than 45
milliseconds.For film, acceptable lip sync is considered to be no more
than 22 milliseconds in either direction." -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_to_video_synchronization#Recommendations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lip_flap#Recommendations

Related:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapperboard