Re: [LAU] Some heavy metal/rock'n'roll

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 12 2013 - 21:24:19 EET

Am 02.11.2013 21:30, schrieb Arve Barsnes:
> Hello all!
>
> Just released a debut release by a band I'm in last weekend, which I just
> realised is pretty much a linux project. Everything was recorded straight
> to harddrive through an analog mixer. So not an analog studio, but a
> computerless studio anyway.
>
> Drums recorded live with the rest of the instruments playing along in the
> room, so a lot of guitars and bass on the drum tracks, so was quite a
> challenge massaging the drums into sounding like drums without interfering
> with the guitars (which we recorded on top of the drums afterwards the same
> day). Everything recorded in two evenings a cold weekend earlier this year.
>
> Mixed and fixed in ardour 2 this spring/summer (can't quite remember). Not
> super happy with the sound, but it was a mess before the mixing process, so
> quite satisfied after all.
>
> Hope you enjoy!
>
> https://alphatross.bandcamp.com/

just great, where can I buy the vinyl? I mean it.
On the peril you hate it: Blown away raised the very same feelings in
me, I had when I first listened to Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun aeons ago.
Technically speaking I see some room for improvement though. The overall
sound is just right, Drums *could* have more punch but this is a matter
of taste methinks. And the performance gets thru in a quite direct and
effective way. Much better than some sterile overpolished Stuff as known
from FooFighters and the like.

Another matter are some glitches I dare to hear, there seems to be an
unvolutary hickup in Blown Away at around 3:00. If it is intended, I
would make it more extreme. The bass at the beginning of the Real sounds
a bit well... undecided.

Still I want the vinyl, give to me it!
Any chance to see you in Germany? Berlin? Hannover? I'd be there and as
Bender would say: damn the expense!

best regards, rock it!
HZN