Re: [LAU] More old crazed jazz

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 18 2013 - 06:38:48 EET

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 08:15:45PM +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 19:10:52 -0800
> Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Cleaning out hard drives again.
> >
> > Found this little gem, covered with obvious mistakes, (which is why it was never really published) but still interesting if you like weird jazz in odd meters:
> >
> > http://storage.restivo.org/music/Cronies/suite-2007-11-06.ogg
> >
> > Linux content is all the keyboards, which are: fluidsynth, two crazy AMS patches, jconv, jack-rack, etc.
> >
> > Warning: it's 18 minutes long.
> >
> > Part of it is in 11/4. There's also a nice windshield wiper moment where 3 bars of 5/4 are overlaid on 2 bars of 5/4.
> >
> > The end of this epic beast consists of a cover of "Morning Bell" by Radiohead.
> >
> > -ken
> Well it took some time to get around to listening to this, but I finally made
> it!
>
> I very much enjoyed listening to all 18 minutes. Good jazz is something I
> really appreciate, and this is both good and original.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! There's a video of it too.

Oh, and I just remembered after thinking about it: most of that was written by the drummer, who is also quite a skilled composer and producer as well. I think we added a few small things, improvised around it quite a bit, and of course tacked Radiohead onto the end of it, but most of that composition was Dan's. I think the first three sections (the intro riff, the funky/swing section, and whole-tone scale walkup) were peices he'd written some years before, and I remember when he called me with the idea of the 11/4 section which was added later. The 15/4 section might have been a group composition, and then Radiohead for the last bit. Memory's hazy on all that though.

-ken