Re: [LAU] re Zoom R16

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 18 2013 - 08:53:09 EET

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM, jmancine <jason@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> but you would probably find it
> better to use a separate playback device for monitoring when it comes to
> the
> R16, and DAW recording in general.

That seems to contradict even my admittedly basic understanding of how
digital audio devices work. Mixing unsynced devices for simultaneous I/O is
asking for trouble. JACK has no inbuilt capacity for synchronizing devices,
so you will get clock drift and as far as I know potential sample
misalignment between what you are listening to and what you are recording.
Using a single device with the same clock for both input and output is
always preferable, followed by two devices with some kind of hard sync if
possible, followed by an aggregate driver level (ALSA in Linux) device only
if the other options are unavailable. I've probably made a mess of
explaining this, but there are multiple articles on the web about the
importance of clock sync if you want to read up on it.