Re: [LAU] re Zoom R16

From: jmancine <jason@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 18 2013 - 18:42:28 EET

FWIW, just finished a little test... I recorded a 3 minute "click track" of
a metronome using the two built in mics on the R16. I then plugged my
playback device into two tracks on the R16 and overdubbed those two
tracks...and repeated the process 4 more times, each time playing back the
previously recorded tracks while re-recording them onto two more tracks.
Theoretically, this should bring out any sync problems, but there is no
discernible difference in the beats when playing back all 32 tracks. Would
I trust this setup for sample-sensitive work like film scoring? Probably
not... but I really don't think it would be an issue for producing
traditional music tracks. I am sure the mileage varies with different
equipment, but after a couple weeks of tinkering, I haven't experienced any
audible issues with drift...nor have I had a single xrun in JACK.

Anyhow, back to the original topic. As it stands, JACK starts with the R16
in "playback only" but tries to set it at 32 bits -- just as it did with the
recording before the quirk. If I start it in full duplex, JACK starts fine
but then dumps a bunch of xruns and crashes when I start to record. So I
think another entry in the quirk that explicitly sets playback at 24 bits
should do the trick.