Re: [LAU] [OT] Debian versions - Was: Re: ardour3 on debian stable

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 14 2013 - 14:04:39 EET

On 12/13/2013 10:19 AM, Atte wrote:
> On 12/13/2013 10:01 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>> On 13/12/2013 09:53, Milan Lazecky wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> thank you for information - I was hoping crunchbang was from unstable...
>>> I have it on my netbook few days and working well.
>>> But anyway, unstable debian should be well prepared system and if you
>>> don't have "old iron" (as me) and want to do good stuff, using ardour3
>>> etc, I would really recommend you to upgrade into unstable. Living on
>>> the edge is the only way to see further, I would say.
>>
>> IMHO Testing is also a good compromise. But I guess it also depends on
>> personal taste.
>
> Indeed!
>
> I've been bitten by Sid in the past. I find that most apps from the
> stable repo work just fine for me. There are a hand full of programs
> that I download and install from source.
>
> I'm not really a rolling release kinda guy...

You may like apt-pinning. Allows you to run debian/stable but
cherry-pick selected apps (and their dependencies) from testing or sid.

Best used with a package manager that gives you control over package
versions and allows manually picking versions e.g. aptitude.

https://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

best,
robin