Re: [LAU] [OT] SW recommendation (and VST under Linux)

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 15 2013 - 22:40:09 EET

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:15:46 -0500,
Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote :

Thank you all for the replies - much appreciated !

> I think you really try to be certain you understand what your son's
> production flow might be like.

This is a very good point. I've looked at Ableton Live and although
overall nice, it is not easy to find a supported sound cards list.
emailing them does not work in Firefox/Linux (403 errors or
unresponsive web page). I did find a thread in German (from last
month) that reports latency problems with the 1010LT card (should be
thrown away...), and recommends a RME. If it's a problem with the
1010LT and Windows drivers (certainly do not have latency problems with
Ardour on Linux) then I might be in for learning more about Windows
that I'd want to, in order to make it work (eg. provide support :)

FL studio seems quite good too, but with perhaps less of that pizz
that Ableton has.

To bring the thread back to Linux a bit: does this Abelton Live work
with using Wine ? Just out of curiosity. For that matter, are VST
plugins working in Linux with Ardour (and Wine) ? Is it like 100% go
ahead get some, or is it on a per-case basis ? Surely there is no
support from the VST plugin makers when running them under Wine in
Linux.

Thanks again for all the comments !