Re: [LAU] question related output level and sound card

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 16 2013 - 20:10:31 EET

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 18:48:32 +0100
Djého Youn <ydjeho@gmail.com> wrote:
> for those who gave advice with main mixer, 'sorry I wasn't that clear. but
> mixer's input gain was max. and it was only half on the meter. then
> boosting mixer's channel/master only made my sound horribly distorted.

Headphoune out is a different impedance than line out, it's really easy
to overload a line input. I'm a little suspicious of the level into the
main mixer though; you should have had more than enough signal for the board.
I suspect there was some user error at the mixer.

> this looks quite nice...as it's preamp AND soundcard...if soundcard doesn't
> make my signal louder, then I can use it as preamp..if I got it right.
> http://www.thomann.de/pl/art_usb_dual_tube_pre.htm
>
> does anyone used this with ubuntu 13.10 on modern laptops?

I use an ART DualPre (not the tube model) with ArchLinux regularly with
no issues at all. It worked fine when I used Fedora as well but I
switched to Arch a while back and havent tested it in a while. There
shouldn't be any driver issues, it follows the USB audio interface spec
pretty well.

The ART will give a much better signal, and the line outs use balanced 1/4"
TRS connectors so you can get a quieter signal if you use the appropriate
patch cables.

Good luck!