Re: [LAU] question related output level and sound card

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 16 2013 - 23:06:23 EET

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 01:10:31PM -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:

> Headphoune out is a different impedance than line out, it's really easy
> to overload a line input. I'm a little suspicious of the level into the
> main mixer though; you should have had more than enough signal for the board.

Headphone outs are very low impedance, which is perfectly OK for a
line input (pro line outs are low Z as well). Most HP outs today are
designed for 32 ohm earbuds and should be able to provide sufficient
signal to a mixer line in, at least if the mixer has an input gain
control on the line input, as most have.

But an HP out won't provide a real 'pro' line level. And beware of
the specs of some sound cards. They claim 'pro' level line outs at
+4 dBu. But more often than not, that means their peak level is +4
dBu, while in the pro world that is the _working level_, with peaks
being 12..15 dB higher.

> I suspect there was some user error at the mixer.

Yep. Or the system just wasn't as powerful as the OP believed it was.

Ciao,

--
FA