Re: [LAU] What on earth...

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 22 2013 - 02:56:32 EET

On 12/21/2013 11:23 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> did the debian devs think they were doing?
>
> My music machine is set up precisely as I want it with no spare fluff or
> eye-candy, and fits my workflow like a glove. I seldom make any changes, but
> thought it high time I checked for upgraded packages. Up till now this has
> never been any kind of problem and usually results in some tiny overall
> improvements.
>
> Today was different. Without asking, indeed, without even a warning, they
> installed GDM, Gnome3 and pulse audio,

How can debian-devs install something on *your* machine?

> thus rendering my computer totally
> useless. The only thing I could do was reboot, then log into recovery mode,
> find aptitude and delete the crap.
>
> I will never really trust debian again :(

That rather sounds like you should not trust yourself, again :)
On debian, no install/update/upgrade command will do anything (by
default) without asking for confirmation.

Apart from that, I have not seen anything changes, that'd pull in these
deps (debian stable+testing+sid mix here).

2c,
robin