Re: [LAU] OT: Top Posting [Was: Linux compatible keybord controller?]

From: Chris Bannister <cbannister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 03 2014 - 12:39:29 EET

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 03:38:44PM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:
> When you put it like that, I am not sure I understand either
> All I can say is I read it hm.. read it again hmmm... and then I laughed.
> Why...???
>
> Well an explanation may be that across widely differing cultures
> things that were taken for granted need to be carefully asserted.

What, in this case, is taken for granted?

> Two examples:
> 1. Outside an elevator is the notice: "Dogs must be carried in the elevator"
> Now aside from obvious understanding barriers like:
> - not being able to read
> - thinking its just a design not a writing/notice
> - connecting 'the elevator' with THIS elevator
> there is one more (and to me amusing) interpretation:
> In order to enter the elevator you must bring a dog which you must carry

Despite the fact that it would be almost impossible to carry some dogs
anyway, I'd dispute the fact and suggest having them on a lead would be
sufficient. (Are dogs allowed in buildings, esp. with elevators. -
guide dogs are already on leads and trained enough, I assume.)

But I see your point in this example. Like "collar and tie must be worn"
presupposes a suit and not just a collar and tie on a naked body, or
singlet and underwear etc.

I can't relate this to the link Ralf posted though.

> And that is why that snippet of Ralf reminded me of Culture and Empire
> -- more and more I feel we oldies dont get what the modern world is
> about ...

So the link Ralf posted has something to do with "the twitter world"?
(I assume it does, but am still missing the point.)

> PS. I 'corrected' the To list taking it as an oversight. If not my apologies

Not good! Off list replies are generally meant to be private. You are
better to assume the intention is to keep the message private, rather
than make it public and apologise for making it public!

oppressing." --- Malcolm X