Re: [LAU] OT: Top Posting [Was: Linux compatible keybord controller?]

From: Chris Bannister <cbannister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 03 2014 - 13:05:38 EET

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 11:21:27AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 22:16 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:41:29AM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:

> > > Thanks Ralf for making me laugh
> >
> > Do you have to be a non English speaker to understand it?
> > I get the '@' symbol means 'at', but don't understand 'get' the reply,
> > despite it being poor English. Or is that part of the joke?
> > #mystified
>
> It's absurd to open a thread about it. International mailing lists are

I didn't. It was sent off-list on purpose!

> used by people who aren't native speakers too. @ is often used in this
> way, so we non-native speakers adopt it. Everybody understands what it
> is used for, even if it's poor English. A correction, how to speak/write
> better English could be send off-list, since on this list the @-sign is
> seldom "misused" and even if it's (mis)used, the intention isn't to be
> impolite.

Are you referring to what I posted, or the link you posted?

> You know that on the Debian user list it became a thread when an
> Australien native English speaker doesn't reply in Oxford English and
> even American English from time to time lead to a thread about wrong
> usage of the English language, with several replies that just add a
> smiley or +1.

*One* reply had a :-) *and* YOU commented on it!

> Are Linux mailing lists for Oxford English speaking poets?

That is an absurd conclusion to come to. Surely you are joking, and
being cynical just to stretch your point to the limit!

E.g. If someone uses "your" instead of "you're" which is commented on by
someone then any further discussion regarding the comment is just that;
discussion about "your" and "you're".

> However, top posting is bad, I explained it off-list and sure, Robins
> explanation to the list is good, but any further discussions about the
> style, how to write emails is useless and only discourage users to join
> mailing lists.

That has got nothing to do with my comment regarding me not
understanding why it is funny.

> I dislike German journalists speaking bad German, e.g. when they say
> "Meter", while it should be "Metern", or when they claim that a "Fenster
> ist auf", instead of a "Fenster ist offen" but I also dislike when it
> becomes a thread in a German Linux forum, when somebody wrote "das"
> instead of "dass".

I dislike warm beer ... where are we going with this.

> The language police isn't aware what language is for. Language is used
> for communication, not to show how good or bad our education was.

True, why have an education if it doesn't matter.

> Feel free to reply off-list ;).

MY message was off-list! It's you that seems to want it on list.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X