[LAU] Jack Error, dbus, x11???

From: Kevin Utter <kvutter@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 07 2014 - 00:05:18 EET

Hi all! I'm running Ubuntu 12.10. I thought I had installed jack 2, but I think I did it manually if I remember correctly. As I've been having problems with recording audio, I checked with aptitude, and it showed that jack 1 was installed. I think the version command at the time showed 1 something, which I think indicates jack 2? I read that the --sync option was recommended, but that option didn't show up in the documentation. So, I elected to uninstall jack1 in aptitude, and install Jack 2. After doing this, jackd --version shows:

jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
jackdmp version 1.9.8 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 8

I'm trying to run jackd from a terminal outside of Infinity desktop. (A separate login, I think?) When I run jackd with the parameters I need, I get the following:

Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11

Failed to acquire device name : Audio0 error : Invalid argument
Audio device hw:0 cannot be acquired...
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
Failed to open server
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

If I run in a terminal inside Infinity, it starts OK. Can anyone explain what's going on, and what I can do to run it in other terminals? I'd like to be able to shut the display manager down if necessary to cut down on processes if necessary, as I'm doing everything from the command line. I had this working before, but I broke it when trying to fix things by installing jack2 with aptitude. Could I have had parts of different jack versions trying to co-exist? Or could I have been using a different version of jack or jackd when working from the terminal, and changing things in aptitude removed the one I had access to? I'm sorry if these are basic questions, but I've been trying to read documentation for months now, and because of conflicts of age and version changes, I'm just a bit confused. I have perhaps done stupid things along the line, but I just don't know quite where to go from here. Thanks much for any help, and I'm sorry to be so long-winded. I didn't know how
  to rela
 te what I hoped would be all the details needed. Thanks again.

Kevin

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
Linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Received on Tue Jan 7 00:15:01 2014

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Tue Jan 07 2014 - 00:15:01 EET