Re: [LAU] A text-only environment for composing electronic music?

From: F. Silvain <silvain@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 25 2014 - 16:32:44 EET

Mario Lang, Jan 25 2014:

> Hi.
>
> I am looking for a programmable (text mode) seuqnecer solution.
> I know that Linux has a few small languages for creating
> MIDI files, like MMA. Even LilyPond can be tricked into being a MIDI
> file generating language. However, none of the solutions I have seen so
> far could be easily integrated as the center/hub of a full composition.
> I am imagining a workflow where I do not need to click my way through a
> sequencer, setting up all the content and connections, but rather define
> a composition in terms of source code. For this to be useful, it should
> include conventional sample playback, as well as real time MIDI event
> generation. I am not sure if we have a sufficiently remote-controllable
> sampler without GUI requirements, but if we do, I might be able to get
> away by using that via OSC or MIDI, instead of re-inventing the sampler wheel.
Hey hey,
the synthesis programming languages sound like your tool. CLM, SC3, Csound... The latter deiniftely has MIDI, JACK and OSC support. It has built-in SF2 support.
You can integrate DSSI plugins and if you find other software, that support complete mIDI or OSC control you can remote control that as well. LinuxSampler (LV2) can be controlled via OSC.
I'm new, but I found Csound a veritable allie for advanced electronic experiments.

Ta-ta

----
Ffanci
* Internet: http://freeshell.de/~silvain