Re: [LAU] Monitoring and effects (Ardour)

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 25 2014 - 19:38:21 EET

On 01/25/2014 06:29 PM, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I sit possible to monitor a to-be-recorded Ardour track without
> actually recording it. By monitoring I mean hearing all effects that
> are on that channel. What I currently do is to add a send on the track
> that is sent to channel 8 (1010LT card). So then, channel 8 outputs
> the instrument plus all effects applied to it (assuming the send is at
> the end of the chain). But, it only works when recording is on. Not
> so much of a problem, as the track can be deleted, although it could be
> nice not to have to press record to hear the monitoring, just to
> practice or fool around.

Ardour3 has dedicated buttons on the mixer-strip to choose what is
monitored [DISK] vs [In]. If you have auto-input enabled they're
toggled automatically when you roll the transport, but you can manually
override for the track in question at any time.

https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/raw/master/doc/monitor_modes.pdf

There's also the possibility to simply use the monitoring section and
PFL (Post Fader Listen Solo).

HTH,
robin